Why do I write?
When I started, I wasn't sure. I had thought the purpose of writing about ideas was to disseminate them, but having modest ideas and a very small readership, I wondered if this was pointless.
Now I realize, it is primarily to clarify my thinking.
I find the act of writing publicly forces me to be much clearer, and follow my thinking to its conclusions. It also lets me connect various observations in a more complete way, than if the ideas were floating in my mind. Because when you write, loose ends and muddy thinking are obvious.
Now I've got a series of posts in which I present a complex problem, and claim that I will address the solution in a future post. But guess what? Im not sure just what Im going to say in the followups yet! But the act of publicly stating I will present a solution, is making my gears turn.
What do I write about?
In this blog, I've covered abstract and concrete ideas like:
- Distinguishing the roots a problem from its many leaves
- The modern problem of too much information making it hard to focus on important issues
- The concept of the Citizen's burden, in which the system seems designed to makes it hard for citizens to be politically active
- Mapping the reasons why humanity finds it hard to tackle the current global environmental crisis
Most of these are rhetoric pieces, intended to share a viewpoint based on personal observation. My hope is that the act of writing them will help me find my place in contributing to the solution to the big problems clouding our personal and collective futures.
Public writing -- I highly recommend it!
No comments:
Post a Comment